|README(7)||FreeBSD Miscellaneous Information Manual||README(7)|
- Tab complete: most recently seen or mentioned nicks are completed first. Commas are inserted between multple nicks.
- Prompt: the prompt clearly shows whether input will be interpreted as a command or sent as a message.
- Split scroll: keeps the latest messages in view while scrolling.
- URL detection: recent URLs from a particular user or matching a substring can be opened or copied.
- Nick coloring: color generation based on usernames remains stable across nick changes. Mentions of users in messages are colored.
- Ignore: visibility of filtered messages can be toggled.
- Dynamic configuration: all configuration happens in a simple text file or on the command line.
- Multi-network: a terminal multiplexer such as
tmux(1) (or just your regular terminal
emulator tabs) can be used to connect
catgirlto multiple networks.
- Reconnection: when the connection to the server is lost,
catgirlexits. It can be run in a loop or connected to a bouncer, such as pounce.
- CTCP: apart from ACTION, this protocol is useless at best and enables abuse at worst.
- Cleartext IRC: TLS is now ubiquitous and certificates are easy to obtain.
catgirlrequires ncurses and libtls, provided by either LibreTLS (for OpenSSL) or by LibreSSL. It targets FreeBSD, OpenBSD, macOS and Linux. On OpenBSD, configure with
./configure make all sudo make install
If installing libtls manually to
/usr/local, for example, make sure
/usr/local/lib appears in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/* and be sure to run
ldconfig(8) once the library is
./configure to find it.
sandman wrapper is provided for macOS
to stop and start
catgirl on system sleep and wake.
Install it as follows:
make scripts/sandman sudo make install-sandman
- global state and declarations
- startup and event loop
- IRC connection and parsing
- curses interface
- IRC message handling
- input command handling
- line wrapping
- line editing
- tab complete
- URL detection
- message filtering
- chat logging
- configuration parsing
- XDG base directories
IRC bouncer: pounce
June Bug, IRC Suite, https://text.causal.agency/010-irc-suite.txt, June 19, 2020.
|September 1, 2020||Causal Agency|